(1980s space mission carrying out a Comet Halley flyby)
Giotto was an ESA mission to fly by Comet Halley.
It was launched in 1985, flew by its target in 1986.
It was still operational and was reused for another flyby,
as the Giotto Extended Mission (GEM),
flying by the comet Grigg-Skjellerup (26P/Grigg-Skjellerup) in 1992.
The spacecraft was shut down the same year.
- DID - Dust Impact Detector System.
- EPA - Energetic Particle Analyser.
- GRE - Radio Science Experiment.
- HMC - Halley Multimeter Camera.
- IMS - Ion Mass Spectrometer.
- JPA - Johnstone Plasma Analyser.
- MAG - Magnetometer.
- NMS - Neutral Mass Spectrometer.
- OPE - Light Probe Experiment.
- PIA - Particle Impact Analyser.
- RPA - (Reme) Copernic Plasma Experiment