(any of a number of science institutes supported by Kavli Foundation)
There are a number of Kavli Institutes, all sponsored by
the Kavli Foundation, a private foundation for the
advancement of science. The the foundation provides grants to
universities, founding and funding the institutes.
Of astronomy/astrophysics interest:
- Kavli Institute for Particle Astrophysics and Cosmology (KIPAC, Stanford University).
- Kavli Institute for Cosmological Physics (University of Chicago).
- Kavli Institute for Astrophysics and Space Research (MKI, MIT).
- Kavli Institute for Astronomy and Astrophysics (KIAA, Peking University).
- Kavli Institute for Cosmology (KICC, University of Cambridge).
- Kavli Institute for the Physics and Mathematics of the Universe (Kavli IPMU, University of Tokyo).
The foundation offers the Kavli Prize in Astrophysics every two years,
analogous to the Nobel prizes, i.e.,
to selected individuals, possibly split/shared.