(reference code for a journal article)
A bibcode is a type of reference code to identify journal
articles, used by some astrophysics journal-article
repositories and indexes, consisting of 17
ascii characters used as follows:
- four characters for the year.
- a five character journal abbreviation/code.
- four characters for the volume number.
- one character for the section (or first digit of a five-digit starting page).
- four characters for the starting page.
- one character for first character of last name of first author.
Unused characters are filled with periods.
Some databases that make use of it: