Mars Polar Lander
(failed 1999 Mars lander mission)
Mars Polar Lander (MPL)
was a NASA spacecraft launched in 1999 intended
to land on Mars, which failed to communicate after
- MARDI - Mars Decent Imager.
- SSI - Surface Stereo Imager.
- LIDAR - Light Detection and Ranging (the visible light equivalent of radar).
- RA - Robotic Arm.
- RAC - Robotic Arm Camera.
- MET - Meteorological Package.
- TEGA - Thermal and Evolved Gas Analyzer.
- Mars Microphone.
Also, Deep Space 2 A and B, two identical probes that were released
to impact the surface, to measure descent, impact, soil conductivity,
and detect any water.