Mars Global Surveyor
(Mars probe launched by NASA in 1996)
The Mars Global Surveyor (MGS)
was a mission launched in 1996 by NASA
to map Mars.
It went into Mars orbit in 1997 for a two-year
primary mission and its operation was subsequently extended
until terminated by a 2006 failure.
- MOC - Mars Orbiter Camera.
- MOLA - Mars Orbiter Laser Altimeter.
- TES - Thermal Emission Spectrometer.
- MAG/ER - Magnetometer and electron reflectometer.
- USO/RS - Ultrastable Oscillator for Doppler measurements.
- MR - Mars Relay: relay communication with other Mars probe.